Thursday, July 12, 2012

It's difficult to explain without SEEING it.

... In my Physical Therapy, FIRST I tried this exercise/routine against a wall. 

I would position my wheelchair VERY CLOSE TO AND FACING a wall.
THEN, I would press my toes--through my shoes--against the wall. 
NEXT, I would position my hands on my wheelchair accordingly.
(My "caregiver" helps move my "STUBBORN" left pinkie.)
FINALLY, I lean forward and push my body up and OUT of my wheelchair. 
So, I'm STANDING--with NO ASSISTANCE--YAY--against the wall!
(So, it looked like I MIGHT BE "making out" with the wall.)
(... I WASN'T.)
(I'm not gonna lie: I felt like I was in TIME-OUT.)
(I thought: WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!"  "WHY ARE YOU--MY PHYSICAL THERAPIST-- PUNISHING ME?!")   


NEXT, I "performed" THIS exercise along the outside of one side of my parallel bars. 
I STILL had SUCCESS.  YAY!
PLUS, I would reach back and down--with my LEFT, WEAKER, INJURED hand--and grab my left wheelchair-armrest to SLOWLY, STEADILY sit myself down in my wheelchair. 
(I've been underestimating the STRENGTH and CONTROL of my LEFT hand.)  



MORAL: NEVER doubt ME!
Pessimism/Doubt = BLASPHEMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive