Thursday, November 13, 2014

… MORE #s:


I FOUND it!
THIS was my EXACT warm-up MATH-problem from my TUTORING-"student" yesterday:

"You drive a CONSTANT speed due EAST 40 miles/hour for 12 minutes.
THEN, you turn onto the highway, and drive straight NORTH at 60 mph for 6 minutes.
You STOP.
How FAR are you from your STARTING-point?




BONUS:
How far are you from your STARTING-point … in FEET?
(HINT: There are 5,280 FEET in a MILE.)"



((… ANSWER:

12 minutes = 1/5 of an hour
1/5 of 40 miles = 
8 MILES

6 minutes = 1/10 of an hour
1/10 of 60 miles =
6 MILES

(THIS is the HINT I gave her:)
STANDARD "right triangle" = (measurement of "side X")^2 + (measurement of "side Y")^2 = (measurement of "HYPOTENUSE")^2

Ergo, 
8 squared (64) + 6 squared (36) = X squared 
64 + 36 = 100 = x squared
x^2 = 100
Thus, x = + or - 10
(… Since we're dealing with DISTANCE, the answer is POSITIVE.)

"BONUS"-ANSWER: 

There are 5,280 feet in a mile.  
So, 
10 MILES = 
5,280 FEET x 10 = 

50,280 feet))

___________________________________________________________________

So, upon my awakening this morning, I--as usual-- HAD TO "DRAIN the MAIN VEIN".  
(… HEY!  That ALL rhymes!)
So, I "WALKED" 62 steps TO my toilet and 64 steps RETURNING from my toilet.
Alas, I HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY DE-creased my "glancing DOWN" as I "WALK".
(YAY!)
I STILL--OCCASIONALLY--swing my LEFT LEG/FOOT out to MY left, and KICK my walker as I STEP forward.
(DAMN electric "pulsing" of my "Walkaid"!)
(… 2 "KICKS"/62 INITIAL steps = ~3.23%
3 "KICKS"/64 RETURN-steps = ~4.69%)

___________________________________________________________________

So, THIS evening's been … A BIT … hectic!
THUS, tomorrow I'll be more EXTENSIVE/VERBOSE/CHATTY.


...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive